Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

2014 Vacation Series #3: Running In the Heat

activity photo

It's about 81 degrees here in Virginia Beach, but apparently in the south it feels like 95! The sun was beaming down on me as I reluctantly went on my run. I really didn't feel like being bothered -- I'm on vacation, I was relaxing with my family, I had had a little more of Aunt Chris' cake, and the last thing I wanted to do was sweat bullets running down the boardwalk. 

But I made a commitment, so out I went, tired but ready to go nonetheless. And some very interesting things happened...

First a random guy high-fived me encouragingly on the way to the beach. I guess my clothes gave away that I was a runner and that I was in the middle of a workout. Then I started running, and I decided that today I didn't want to listen to my music. I kept my earbuds in only to listen to the prompts from my app telling me when to run and when to walk. So I could hear people talking, children laughing, and the sound of the waves on the shore. One woman walking by as I ran said, "Get it, girl!" to encourage me along my way. I smiled and laughed. A skateboarder who saw I was looking worn out reached out his hand and high-fived me (yeah, two high-fives in one day!). I came back to the hotel feeling AMAZING.

The fitness community isn't perfect -- no community is. But it's full of encouraging people who are willing to push you along and help you grow. I've met so many nice and informative people on Twitter (follow me @runjackierun92) and on other running blogs. So many people, including me, fear being judged when we run in public. What if I look silly? What if I'm too slow? And we blast music to tune out everything so we won't have to hear the harsh criticism. But while that definitely does happen to some people, there is a positive side, too. There are people out there who will see you, no matter how slow you think you're going or how bad you think you're running, and be inspired. They know you got off your butt and did something that not everyone is willing to do, and they want to encourage you on the way, even if it's only for a moment. So stop judging yourself and get out there! Be brave this week, not because you have to be, but because you were born to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment