Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Running While Sick and Week 2 of 5k Runner

Leave it to me to get sick two weeks into my running program. I'm not a finisher -- I'm a starter. I enthusiastically start all kinds of fitness plans, only to let my dreams of athleticism die as the weeks go by. But this time, I was determined. This time I decided to be a finisher.

I've signed up for the Jingle Bell Run/Walk, a 5k in December. The money is paid, the T-shirt should be coming in the mail, and there's no turning back. So sick or no, I knew I was going to run this morning. I slept in my workout clothes the night before, threw on my running shoes when I woke up, and headed to the park.

And you know what...I didn't die. It didn't even hurt as bad as I thought it would. My right foot went slightly numb, but that's owing more to my lacing my shoes a tad too tight than anything else (more on my running gear in a later post). My lungs supported my slightly faster 4.5 - 5 mph jog with relative ease, and before I knew it the workout was over. Today I had to run 1 minute and 30 seconds, and walk for two minutes. I kept alternating for about 30 minutes, with a 5 minute warm up and cool down walk.



This is my Runkeeper app, which I'm using to track how far I walk/run. My goal is to run/walk 100 miles by January 1. As you can see, so far I'm 4 miles in. I run slow and walk often at this point, so it'll be awhile before I'm able to get in a decent mileage each week. I'm debating whether or not to count the walk from home to the park and back -- it's about a mile and certainly burns lots of calories.

The rest of the day, I'm staying home from school and just focusing on getting better. I wanted to do my Ripped in 30 DVD, but it's not looking like I'm going to make it through that in my current condition. I definitely don't want to over train and and injure myself -- I'm already sore all over!

Tomorrow I'll talk about my first ever trip to Jack Rabbit, a specialty running store, and which running shoes ended up being just right for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment