Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Jack Rabbit Experience and Saucony Guide 6 Review

As I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to show you guys my (limited) running gear and tell you about my experience at Jack Rabbit. So, being that I live in NYC, I went to the one on Union Square in Manhattan. It's only a 30-45 minute ride form my house. When I got there, the store was smaller than I expected, but I loved that it was dedicated, for the most part, to running. There were also sections for swimming and yoga, and the clothes looked awesome. But I ignored all that and made a beeline for the shoe section at the back. I wrote my name on the waiting list and patiently, albeit awkwardly, stood by the sign in sheet until I was called.

The woman who helped me was short, slightly shorter than me, and I'm 5'4. She had medium length black hair, a few tattoos, and seemed to be an all-around bad ass who didn't take shit from anybody. I liked her almost immediately. First, she had me run in my K-Swiss Tubes on one of the three treadmills in the shoe section. I noticed immediately that there were cameras behind all the treadmills, and that there were TVs next to each one. I started running and a zoomed in shot of my feet was projected on the screen. I was told not to look at myself running on camera, so that I would not try to adjust my gait or "fix" my running form. She wanted to see how I normally run and what shoes could possibly make adjustments that would be helpful for me.

She discovered immediately that I have slight overpronation in my right foot, but not my left. In English, that means my right ankle rolls a little too far inward when it hits the ground. My beloved K-Swiss shoes were also too small, which was what was causing my feet to go completely numb when I ran.

I tried on at least 5 pairs of shoes -- I remember at least one being Mizuno, another being Asics. I ran in each pair, and with each run my feet were filmed and analyzed. The shoes that were the best fit, and the most comfortable to run in, were the Saucony Guide 6 shoes.


Aren't they adorable? I love the blue and coral combo! It's not something I would normally have picked out for myself, but it was the only color they had a available in my size, which surprisingly ended up being a 9 -- apparently the shoes run small so you need to go half a size up, plus your feet swell when you run and need the extra space in the toe box.

So far, they're super comfortable to run in and haven't given me any trouble. I can't wait to see how they perform when I'm able to run longer distances!

No comments:

Post a Comment